Sat, 09/15/2012 - 10:00pm
Comedy at Comet
Where |Comet Ping Pong
5037 Connecticut Ave NW
About This Event
Despite a torrential downpour that caused even Noah to look out of the window of his Logan Circle condo and say, “Aw, Hell Naw!”, the inaugural Comedy Night at Comet Ping Pong was an absolute success. Ignore the untruths you’ve heard about my tendency towards slight hyperbole, and believe me when I tell you that Standup and Improvisational Comedy were escalated to heretofore uncharted, vertiginous heights that sides literally split from laughter. Bellies were clutched in a desperate attempt to somehow restrain the guffaws. People laughed until they cried, donned togas, and began doing the Dougie. Mugs were raised, and toasts “TO COMEDY!” were heartily offered, and Pizza, wings, and beer were all in abundance.
And now there shall be more.
“More!” You say? “More of this Bacchanalian feast of laughter and pizza?” “Standup AND The Legendary Smoke…AGAIN?”
Yes, is my response. Yes, indeed…and don’t sleep on the wings.
Comedy Night at Comet returns for a funtastic fall edition, and this bill is absolutely magnificent!
- The divine Sara Armour, improviser, sketch comedy performer, and standup comedian, shall host the event. You will love her and ask for her autograph, for funny she shall be.
- Nate Johnson, Funniest Fed finalist, host of Open Mic Night at the Comedy Spot, and storyteller extraordinare, shall stand up and tell you jokes. You will want to hang out with him, buy him beer, and be his best friend, because he shall be so very, very funny.
- Tyler Richardson burgeoning comedic legend in DC and Baltimore, frequent host at the DC Improv, shall present standup to you, and you will beg him to use his power of funniness to save the world before it is too late.
- Overcommitted, the reigning champions of Battle Improv!, shall lay down funky bass lines of highly energetic and fast-paced improvisation for you. You shall thank them for doing so, because who doesn’t love funky bass lines of funny?
- The soon-to-be-legendary Dr. Girlfriend, winners of the “Jeff’s Favorite Name for an Improv Troupe” competition, shall give you a glimpse of what joyful and fun improvisation looks like. I’m usually not one to spoil the movie, but I’ll give you a quick preview: It’ll be funny. You’ll recognize them as comedy’s answer to the 1964 Beatles, scream, and ask them to touch your hand.
- Population: Six will come down from Baltimore to bring us a taste of Charm City Improv Awesomeness. You will laugh loudly at them, and suddenly start saying, ‘Hun’. Happily, Comet serves Raven beer by the bottle.
- Big Birds, the longform improvisational duo formed by Charlie Visconage and Taylor Durant of the The Charlie Visconage Show, shall be very tall, and very funny, and you will bow before them, and throw garlands and links of sausages in tribute to them.
- The night shall end with a jam, in which I’ll join, and you'll beseech me to crowd surf and be Grand Marshall of your hometown parade, because you'll be so in awe of my extreme funniness.
Do come out, support local comedy, and help settle the fierce debate between Sir Charles and myself as to which of Comet’s pizzas is the very best. I say the Time-Out, because there is gorgonzola, and gorgonzola is the essence of life. Charlie’s preference is…unimportant, because gorgonzola is not involved.
There shall be tickets. They shall be sold. Their price shall be $10, and they shall be available at the door. The doors shall open at 10 pm. People shall tell jokes; they shall make up characters, and stories. There will be diving across the stage. There may be dancing, singing, jump up and down.
It shall be funny.